The International Casual Furnishings Association (ICFA) honored top retailers, manufacturers, sales representatives and designers last week at a gala awards celebration during Casual Market Chicago.
All segments of the industry gathered at the Swissotel Chicago Wednesday, September 27, to recognize manufacturing and retailing excellence, spotlight top product designs and pay tribute to the 2018 Lifetime Achievement Award recipients. Awards presented or recognized during the event included the following:
The Apollo Awards
These awards recognize retail excellence in the sales and marketing of outdoor furnishings.
Bowman’s Stove & Patio of Ephrata, Pa., was the winner in the single-store category. Porch & Patio Casual Living, with a flagship showroom in Warwick, R.I., and a satellite store in Mystic, Conn., was the multi-store category winner.
Finalists in the single store category included Outdoor Elegance, La Verne, Calif.; Patios Plus, Rancho Mirage, Calif.; HFA member Sunnyland Furniture, Dallas; Village Green Home and Garden, Rockford, Ill.
Finalists in the multi-store category included Daylight Home, Lighting & Patio, San Luis Obispo, Calif.; Great Gatherings, Gainesville, Va.; and Today’s Patio, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Design Excellence Competition
This competition recognizes products in 11 categories for their overall design, as well as their marketability, innovation, color, construction and imaginative use of materials. Eligible designs must have been introduced in the marketplace within the previous year and must be offered by companies exhibiting at Casual Market Chicago. Merchandise Mart Properties Inc. co-sponsors the awards. The 2018 category winners included:
- Chaise Lounge: Lane Venture Jewel Chaise by Fred Spector
- Complementary Casual Products: Gloster Deco Bird Feeder by Mark Gabbertas
- Dining Bar Chair: Barlow Tyrie Titan High Dining Chair by Mark Tyrie
- Dining Bar Table: IndoSoul USA Montage Dining Table by the IndoSoul Design Team
- Fabric: Elaine Smith Birds & Cages by Elaine Smith
- Heating/Firepit: Lloyd Flanders Round Teak Fire Table with Faux Concrete Top by the Lloyd Flanders Design Team
- Lounge Seating with Cushion: Lane Venture Jewel Lounge Chair by Fred Spector
- Lounge Seating without Cushion: Gloster Sway by Henrick Pedersen
- Rugs and Flooring: Jaipur Living Polaris Collection Stowe Rug by the Jaipur Living Design Team
- Outdoor Lighting: Klaussner Outdoor Slant Table Lamp by the Klaussner Outdoor Design Team
- Shade Products: TUUCI Automated Max Cantilever Umbrella by Dougan Clarke.
The Lillian B Winchester “Best of Show” and Lilly Awards
The Lillian B. Winchester “Best of Show” award, selected from among the 11 category winners listed above, went to TUUCI’s Automated Max Cantilever Umbrella, which also received the Lilly Award in the Outdoor Accents category. IndoSoul USA’s Montage dining table received the “Lilly” award in the Outdoor Furniture category.
The prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award is reserved for individuals who have made exemplary contributions to the casual furniture industry and to their individual communities. The 2018 honorees were Steve Elton, chief brand curator for Brown Jordan, and Larry Smith, owner of Village Green Home and Garden in Rockford, Ill. Both men are described as visionaries in the casual furnishings industry.